Hey! I'm Morgan and this is my blog for my E-marketing class, enjoy your read! Namaste.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Beware the "Who has visited my profile the most?" FB Application

Last night I noticed I was tagged in a photo on Facebook, and that this photo was commented on by the poster. I checked who had tagged this photo and it turned out to be someone I went to highschool with, that I haven't talk to in over 10 years, and didn't even know we were Facebook friends. Turns out it was a Facebook application virus. There are many of these new viruses surfacing on Facebook. The one I am now a victum of is called, "Who has visited my profile the most". This application must randomly select people from your friends list and portrays them as viewing your profile more than others. My situation is pretty funny, but applications like these could potentially harm or protect you. The Toronto Sun posted a short mention of these applications today saying, "Unlike companies like Apple, Facebook doesn't have an approval policy for third-party applications," and therefore, "...can cause viruses and malicious software to be installed on your computer." Today in class we discussed how the relationship with a consumer can be affected from offline to online channels, and vise versa. Here the offline channel is possibly negatively affecting my offline social network by creating awkwarde situations, or hilarious ones to me for that matter. But this experience has shifted my notion of Facebook being somewhat more contained and not as contaminated as other social networking sites. Here is The Toronto Sun post ( http://www.torontosun.com/news/world/2010/03/16/13245056.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment